Have you always thought you could never choose the right flat panel detector no matter how hard you try?
Choosing the right flat panel detector can be an arduous task, and most people don’t want to be caught in the middle of doing so. However, it’s not that hard. It only requires knowing the essential factors to consider and diligently sticking to the decision that these factors provide. So, if you’ve been saddled with the responsibility of choosing the right flat panel detector or if you will be in the market for a flat panel detector soon, then this post is for you. We have put together all the information you need to pick a suitable flat panel detector for your peculiar inspection needs.
So, if you want to know more, then let’s jump right in.
I. Why should you Choose the Right Flat Panel Detector?
Right off the bat, you should know that there are more than a couple of reasons why you should choose the suitable flat panel detector, and they’ve been highlighted below. These reasons include:
- Durability – The ability of a flat panel detector to withstand different forms of use and abuse, from very mild to very harsh, without a breakdown in its functions or any of its parts, is very important. Durability ensures that the flat panel can go through these various uses and lasts for a long time, reducing the cost of repairs, maintenance, and replacement while ensuring funds are available for other areas of productivity.
- High replacement cost – Every flat panel detector will need maintenance or repairs at some point, and the cost of maintenance or part replacement need not be expensive. A high replacement cost of parts will make it cost-ineffective in the long-term even if the initial purchase cost of the flat panel detector is cheap.
- Quicker imaging process time – The time it takes to process and develop the image of a test sample after the projection of an X-ray beam is critical for quick analysis and result generation. Hence, getting a flat panel detector that can process and generate an image should be considered carefully.
- Better image quality – The quality of an image generated by a flat panel detector is vital for an accurate analysis and result generation. Therefore, finding a flat panel detector with high resolution and magnification ability is always the best for better image quality.
- Improved work efficiency of technicians – The choice of a flat panel detector affects the efficiency of technicians as they are often confronted with the inadequacies like slow processing speed and low image quality that impact their ability to analyze and produce an accurate result.
- Long service life – If the lifespan of a flat panel detector is short, it results in an increased long-term cost which is not suitable for its cost to benefit ratio. However, a guaranteed long life for a flat panel detector means reduced cost of purchase for a new detector for a long period and more funds to increase productivity in other areas.
➤ Related Article: What is a Flat Panel Detector?
➤ Related Article: Flat Panel Detector Working Principle
➤ Related Article: Advantages and Disadvantages of Flat Panel Detector
II. How do you Choose the Right Flat Panel Detector?
After knowing why you should get the right panel detector, the logical next step will be to understand how to select a suitable flat panel detector. The process involves considering certain essential factors that are key to choosing a suitable flat panel detector. These factors include:
- Choose flat panel detectors, not image intensifiers.
When looking for a flat panel detector, most people often settle for an image intensifier because they feel they are the same and they serve the same function. However, these two devices are pretty different, and most importantly, they serve different functions when it comes to X-ray image processing. The main difference between these two devices is that image intensifiers utilize analog technology and work by converting X-rays into photons. In contrast, flat-panel detectors utilize digital technology with better and more precise image quality.
- Choose amorphous silicon-based detector(a-Si) not CMOS flat panel detector.
Another critical decision you need to make is choosing an amorphous silicon-based flat detector against CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductors) flat panel detector. One reason is the drawbacks of CMOS technology, which is its limited radiation hardness and limited size, which makes amorphous silicon detectors more advantageous.
- Research how solid the flat panel detector brand is.
After the successful consideration of the specific type of flat panels you should choose, then comes the selection of the particular brand, which is considered based on the following factors, including:
– Market share
The market share of a brand indicates its strength, reputation, and customer preference. A high market share strongly shows a brand’s performance regarding other previously mentioned indicators. A company’s market share also indicates its level of competitiveness which shows its ability to get you lower prices while staying competitive to attract more customers. Therefore, choosing a flat panel detector brand with a high market share is better.
– Production and sales history
A track record of a brand’s production and sales also strongly indicates the brand’s success or failure rate. It also shows how they can meet your specific X-ray imaging requirements like panel size, pixel requirements, and image quality. Additionally, a manufacturer’s production history helps you see their commitment to research and development as a tool for improving present production quality. Hence, it is essential to check a flat panel detector manufacturer’s history to find this crucial information to make the right decision.
– Real customer reviews
Actual customer reviews often reveal a company’s customer satisfaction index as it shows how the company has been able to deliver on its promises to its customers. It is also an indication of how they have solved customers’ pain points and resolved customer claims of dissatisfaction. It can reveal both technical dissatisfactions like detector malfunctions, faulty components and non-technical dissatisfaction like a late response or no response to customers’ inquiries. All the reviews will help you make a better decision.
➤ Related Article: How To Choose An X-Ray Tube?
In conclusion, deciding and choosing the suitable flat panel detector is no child’s play, and you may need to carefully consider why and how you need to select the right flat panel detector. However, with a dedication to the reasons for choosing a suitable flat panel detector, you should be enjoying the benefits of a flat panel detector for your X-ray imaging needs. Some of the reasons for selecting a suitable flat panel detector include its durability, image quality, device lifespan, and technician efficiency. Finally, you can choose the perfect flat panel detector by choosing a flat panel detector over an image intensifier as well as choosing an amorphous silicon-based detector over a CMOS. In all, a careful commitment to the factors highlighted in this guide will significantly assist you.